The main data

RegionIvano-Francivsk area
Code COATUU2610600000
Status of city1241
Population61 448 citizens. (2001)
Area40,72 km²
Zip codes78200
Public-call code+380-3433
Reservoirriver Trudge
(Data are used from wikipedia.org- free encyclopedia)

Short history

    Kolomyia (or better, to suit the Ukrainian spelling, Kolomyya, Ukrainian: Коломия, Polish: Kołomyja, Russian: Коломыя, German: Kolomea, Romanian: Colomeea) is a city located on the Prut River in the Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast (province), in western Ukraine. Serving as the administrative center of the Kolomyisky Raion (district), the city is also designated as a separate raion within the oblast. The city rests approximately halfway between Lviv and Chernivtsi, in the center of the historical region of Pokuttya, with which it shares much of its history.

    The current estimated population was around 68,000 inhabitants as of 1993.

    The city is a notable railroad hub, as well as an industrial center (textiles, shoes, metallurgical plant, machine works, wood and paper industry). It is a center of Hutsul culture.

Early history

    Under Kievan Rus' and the principality of Halych-Volhynia (1241-1340)

    The settlement of Kolomyia was first mentioned in 1241, during the Mongol invasion of Rus. Initially part of Kievan Rus', it later belonged to one of its successor states, the principality of Halych-Volhynia.

    Under Poland (1340-1498)

    In 1340 it was annexed to Poland by King Casimir III, together with the rest of the region of Red Ruthenia. In a short time the settlement became one of the most notable centres of commerce in the area. Because of that, the population rose rapidly.

    Prior to 1353 there were two parishes in the settlement, one for Catholics and the other for Orthodox. In 1412 King Władysław Jagiełło erected a Dominican order monastery and a stone-built church there. About the same time, the king was forced by the war with the Teutonic Order to pawn the area of Pokucie to the hospodar of Moldavia, Alexander. Although the city remained under Polish sovereignty, the income of the customs offices in the area was given to the Moldavians, after which time the debt was repaid.


    In 1424 the town's city rights were confirmed and it was granted with the Magdeburg Law, which allowed the burghers limited self-governance. /pThis move made the development of the area faster and Kołomyja, as it was called then, attracted many settlers from many parts of Europe. Apart from the local Ruthenians and Poles, many Armenians, Jews, and Hungarians settled there. In 1443, a year before his death, King Wladislaus II of Poland granted the city yet another privilege which allowed the burghers to trade salt, one of the most precious minerals of the Middle Ages.

    Since the castle gradually fell into disarray, in 1448 King Casimir IV of Poland gave the castle on the hill above the town to Maria, widow of Eliah, voivod of Moldavia as a dowry. In exchange, she refurbished the castle and reinforced it. In 1456 the town was granted yet another privilege. This time the king allowed the town authorities to stop all merchants passing by the town, and force them to sell their goods at the local market. This gave the town an additional boost, especially as the region was one of three salt-producing areas in Poland (the other two being Wieliczka and Bochnia), both not far from Kraków.

    Under the Soviet Ukraine

    When the Soviet Army drove the Axis forces out, the town with the area was attached to the Soviet Ukraine, and the remaining Poles were expelled from their homes.

    Under the independent Ukraine (1991-present)

    It now remains a part of Ukraine, independent since 1991.

    It is a twin town of Nysa in Poland, to where many of its former inhabitants were expelled after the war.

bigmir)net TOP 100 © 2009-2018 InCity Company www.new-incity.com. All rights reserved.